Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Bad Day

Things have not been going particularly well this week. Three members of my group had to cancel at the last minute because of obligations at work and another member had his flight in the US canceled which caused him to miss his international flight and all the arrangements that were set up for his arrival. He is in country now but won’t be here in Da Nang for another couple of hours.

But most difficult has been getting the news that my step-son Lon took a serious fall rock climbing and is in very bad shape with head and back injuries. It’s not easy being this far away from home during a family crisis. I know there is not much I could do even if I were home but I wish I were there to help at this time. If things get any worse, I will consider returning to the States for a while. It’s a wait and see situation, the kind that I am not too good with.

So far, my trusty guide Anh has been such an enormous help to me. She has helped with getting my house arrangements set up, my travel arrangements organized, and has been teaching me Vietnamese and teaching me to drive a motor bike in this country. She has also introduced me to several of her friends that speak a little English. I will miss her once she returns to Saigon. From then on, I will be on my own. Well, I was looking for adventure and here it is.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Pop. Left a Message for Tasha to call me with an update on Lon when she has the opportunity. There is nothing you can do right now to help but send your thoughts. Heard you skyped Bree today. Sorry I missed you. Sounds like you are having a great adventure! Love you. Zach

Greg said...

I am sort of new with this Blogger stuff and this is my third try to respond to you. Sorry about your step son. Hope you get an OK report. I am often glad that my son Dusty never got into rock climbing, I can easily see this becoming an addiction for him.

Wasn't our Ahn a guy. Sounds like yours is a woman?

les said...

Bill, you and Lon are in our thoughts and prayers. hang in there. Kevin says hello. Talked to NA via Skype today. looking forward to chatting with you soon. Les

Anonymous said...

Bill,
Lobster on the beach, relaxing by the pool at the Morin, hiking, trips to the mountains ... man, you're new career sounds really tough! Seriously, We're praying for Lon. That guy in one of the pictures looks like Al. Tell him I said "Hello."
Frankie

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Lon. He's in our thoughts and prayers. Hope you get a good report soon. The Morin still looks like a great place. I enjoyed it in 2000, not as much as the Dong Ha Hotel though!@#$% Let me know if I need to make a quick trip to Boulder to help with Lon.
Ron