Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Final Days with the Group



Mr. Luong
On May 11, we invited a former enemy to join us for dinner. This is always an evening that is filled with anxiousness for all but is a very rewarding experience. To meet with someone who was once on 'the other side of the wire' is something that brings a full mixture of emotion. It brings out the human side of war that not many have the chance to experience.

Mr. Luong served with the North in Hue during the Tet Offensive of 1968. This was one of the most difficult battles of the war for both sides because it took place in a major city and left no room for retreat for either side. Of course, much of the conversation revolved around our personal experiences during the war but the biggest part of the evening was spent talking about our families and what we have done with our lives since that time. It is incredible how much similarity there is between all of us. We shared many toasts and many laughs before the evening was over.


May 13, 2008

Al and Marty flew back to Saigon this morning and will be on their way home tomorrow. It has been a great trip for all of us but the time seemed to slip past too quickly. I don't know if either of them found what they were looking for but I do know they have left Vietnam with a different vision of this country and memories that will help to put some of the demons of the war to rest.


After seeing Al and Marty off, I hopped a train to Hanoi. This 19hr trip makes the flight over the Pacific seem like a short hop. The train is old and the seats, though cusioned, are tightly cramped and don't recline. I was the only Caucasion on the train (or at least in my car) and aroused curiousity in many of those sitting around me. I had conversations with some of the people but none of them spoke much English and we were not able to talk in much depth. Everyone was very friendly and curious why I had come to Vietnam. When I explained that I had come to teach English in Da Nang, there was a lot of chatter throughout the car and many smiles.
I am meeting a man that I met on my last trip over for dinner this evening. Mr. Houng is an English scholar and works with the American Embasy here in Hanoi. I will be great to have a conversation with him and share some thoughts about my new adventure.
Tomorrow, I catch another overnight train and go up to the northern border to a town named Sapa. I was here in 2000 and am looking forward to having another chance to see it. This area is well known for its variety of ethnic mountain people and the amazing terraced rice fields. It is a photographers dream.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill,
Today is Wed. 5/14/08. Temp.
low 80's in central FL
What's the weather like there?
How was the visit to Hanoi?
Remember the boat trip to the
beautiful area east of Hanoi.
The lagoon we entered by a cave.
Good memories.

Frankie

Anonymous said...

Good blog, Bill. Sorry I missed your going-away shindig. Been out of town for several weeks due to a family situation. Missing you Monday nights. BTW - great pix, too. When time permits, maybe you can tell us about the camera gear you're using.

- Larry C.