Friday, May 23, 2008

Phase II - Going Bamboo

Real life is starting to come around now and I am starting to go "Bamboo". I practiced my driving skills again and even ventured downtown for awhile. That was definitely an experience to put on the record. I actually did great and didn't run into anyone. I also was able to get a haircut and order my lunch all by myself. I ordered chicken and got fish. Close enough. Chicken is "ga" fish is "ca".

I got a call from the school this afternoon saying they wanted to have a meeting with me at 3:30. At the meeting they informed me they wanted me to teach that afternoon (5:30). Not much notice but I kind of BSed my way through and it seemed to go OK. Not great, but OK. Since I wasn't expecting to teach, I didn't take my camera with me so I don't have any pictures to show of my school or my class. I will try to get some when I teach again on Monday. Hopefully the air conditioner will be working better then. There was some trouble with it this evening and I was sweating like a pig for the first hour. I have 15 students ranging in age from 14 to 27. They are classified as being "low-intermediate" which means they just look at me with blank expressions. I will also be teaching young children on Sunday mornings but told the school I couldn't start until next week since I am moving into my house this Sunday. So much for teaching advanced students beginning on the first of the month! Lesson #1 in Vietnam is expect the unexpected. That was true in 1969 and is true today.

3 comments:

Greg said...

Are they still trying to take advantage of the American on the price of everything and do you still barter on the cost of meals cigarettes etc. I wonder is that ends after they get to know you. Actually that was part of the charm of revisiting VN. You knew you had negotiated to a reasonable price when you walked away and they let you go. At that point you went back and paid the last price they offered.

Ron said...

Sure sounds like you've been enjoying yourself. Now reality sets in with having to go to work. At least you weren't too surprised when you saw your class. Do they have someone from the government watching over you when you're teaching? You know like we had in 2000 with Don and Mickey. Next time I get over there, I'm going to go to Ha Long Bay and Sapa. They both look fascinating.

Anonymous said...

Bill,
Thanks for serving our country.
Hope you had a good Memorial Day
week-end. I'm sure it's not celebrated in VN. Do they still have villages up around Sapa that
have Village Chiefs? The boat trip to HaLong Bay and the dinner at China Beach were highligts in
'04.