Saturday, April 12, 2008

General Information About Da Nang

For those of you not familiar with where Vietnam is, I have included a map. It sits on the Pacific Rim just below China and to the east of India. Da Nang, the city where I will be living is on the coast about half way up the country (red Arrow). Da Nang is Vietnam's fourth largest city and has a population of nearly a million people. It was also the place where U.S. Marines first landed in Vietnam in 1965 and was used throughout the war as a transit center for Marines coming into and leaving Vietnam. With it's deep sea port and the river, Da Nang is a very active city and is quickly becoming a center of commerce in Vietnam.






This close up satellite image of Da Nang shows the location of the school where I will be teaching (upper yellow marker) and where I believe the house I am checking into is located (lower yellow marker). My house is very close to what was known as China Beach.

No comments: