Monday, April 21, 2008

Four Days and A Wake Up

Time is winding down and I will be heading out of here before I know it. It seems to have been a long time coming but now that it is getting down to the wire, I just hope there is enough time to all the last minute details taken care of.

I had a "Going Away" party on Friday afternoon/evening and I was touched by the number of people who showed up. Damn, the place was packed and all seemed to be having a good time. I know I had a good time. There were probably seventy-five people who showed up (I even knew some of them). Really though, it was pretty moving to see so many people who I consider friends all together in one place. Jim came out from New York and Ron flew in from Chicago. Both of these men have made it back to Nam with me in recent years and both of them served as Marines over there during the war. I really appreciated the effort they made to see me off.

My House
It looks like I have a place to live in Da Nang. Anh was very instrumental in pulling this together. Bless you Anh. You have pulled through once again. Though I haven't seen the place in person yet, I did get some photos. It's a two bedroom, three bath (indoor and flushable), furnished, and nicely decorated. And it is less than three blocks from China Beach. I can live with this. Hopefully, some friends and family will come visit while I'm here. There is room but only for four days max.








This view looks through my living room. Yes, this wall comes complete with fountains and a skylight.






The kitchen looks great too. All I need to do now is learn how to cook.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Testing This Blog before Mr. Bill leaves...

Grady

Anonymous said...

My wife wants to know how you acquired such a lovely place in Vietnam...She is under the impression it is a 3rd World Country... {:-)

Grady for General Pam!

Greg said...

I too am testing the blog. Sorry I missed your party. I would love to have been there to send you off. You mentioned that you needed to learn how to cook. Isn't one of the beauties of VN the fact that you can have a live in cook/maid for a few hundred a month?

Greg said...

Need to back up, few hundred a YEAR

Anonymous said...

Bill,

See that your off to the wilderness. Good Luck My Friend.

Chris Herring
chrish@instruments.com

Diane Herring
dianeh@instruments.com

Write and stay in touch.